Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Stepping in, then letting go...

I was recently challenged to focus my writing in on the topic of acceptance. Funny how that topic comes up, when I have just started this new blog that is all about contentment or santosha in Sanskrit. When I started to think about this connection I realized that I couldn't pinpoint a definite distinction between acceptance and contentment.

Contentment, for me, is basically the renunciation of the need to acquire... the letting of that attitude that accumulation of wealth, or stuff, or friends, or whatever will be the answer to all my problems.

Contentment is viewing and interacting with the world from a place of abundance, instead of coming from a place of lack or scarcity. Contentment is being ok with my life as it is right at this very moment.... laundry not done, apartment still "airing out" from the homemade dessert pizza we may or may not have let accidentally caught on fire in the oven tonight ;)... contentment... even in moments of imperfection such as those I just listed. Coming from abundance. I have enough. I do enough. I am enough. For me, that is the essence of contentment.

Acceptance, on the other hand, seems to be more of a conscious act of agreement rather than a underlying desire to let go or renounce. Acceptance seems to mirror holding on, contentment feels more like letting go. It's a weird connection and a confusing one at that.

Now that I think about it, acceptance is stepping into ALL that is uncomfortable about contentment. It's facing that scary emptiness that is begging to be filled with material stuff or people and behaviors that aren't good for you and instead of rushing like a mad woman to fill it or numb it or ignore it.... acceptance is stepping into it. Then comes contentment.. or santosha.. the letting go.

Stepping in then letting go.. acceptance then contentment....  I think that's the perfect combination!

No comments:

Post a Comment